Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Help! These bugs are such a nuisance!

Question
Mystery bug
Mystery bug  

Mystery bug
Mystery bug  
Hello!
I am from Nashville Tennessee and I been living in an older model town home. I have been here for less than a year and have not seen these small insects until the last two months. I started seeming them in my bathroom and now I have began to see them in other parts of the home (other bathroom, kitchen, bedroom). I am not sure if they are attracted to water or if they slowly spreading to other rooms in the house. I tried o spray and yes, they have been dying, but I have been seeing a lot of them still alive. I have only seen them crawl on the ground, but thus morning found one of the bathroom wall and have also found them on my sink and in the tub. I am not sure if they are resorting to the wall because we sprayed the ground, but seeing how many I cleaned up off the bathroom floor is ridiculous! If someone could please help me identify them, I would defiantly sleep better at night.

I have observed them to be dark brown or almost black. They are so tiny, you have to really be looking to see them because they come off as such a black speck. They move pretty slow and observed when I got one on a tissue and it was rolled onto its back, it could not get up. They have antennas and I am unsure of his many legs but if I could guess I would say four to six since they are so small to see. It doesn't look like an ant because they have more of a shell.

If anymore information is needed please let me know, but I would love to get some answers!

Answer
Angelyn:

They are definitely beetles of some kind, and likely something that falls into the category of a "stored product pest."  My guess is that it is either something in this family:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/13072

or flour beetles:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/89680

but the antennae look to be too long for a flour beetle.

You need to find the source of the infestation (grain, such as birdseed; pet food; flour, etc) and discard the item(s).

I could be wrong, of course, as images are not always sufficient to make an identification, but this is a good place to start.

It is always a good idea to store vulnerable foodstuffs, including pet food, in glass or metal containers with tight-fitting lids.  Boxes and plastic bags offer little resistance to hungry insects.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton