Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Can you identify this bug?

Question
bug photo
bug photo  
We have found 2 of these bugs inside our house and plenty more in our covered courtyard (which contains a pond, no fish). We live in Chilliwack British Columbia in a residential neighborhood with close proximity to a farm (about 2000 ft away). The photo was taken against a dark colored wall at night so the flash was on if that makes a difference and I've cropped it to make the bug bigger. It is about the size of a common house fly and hard backed as I found out squishing it. Any help would be great, thanks.

Answer
Dear Eric this is a weevil in the subfamily Entiminae (short-snouted/broad-nosed weevils). The adult beetles generally feed on the margins of leaves, giving them a characteristic 'notched' appearance, but seldom do serious damage. Their larvae are root feeders, and some, like the strawberry root weevil (see http://tinyurl.com/nnmkjot) and the black vine weevil (see http://tinyurl.com/plv45xa) can be serious pests.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad