Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Insect ID Request

Rare insect
Rare insect  
Good morning,

Yesterday in the afternoon I found in La Jolla, CA this insect and just can't identify it.
It gave the impression to be some sort of stick but never seen one like this before.
I appeciate your help in advanced,

Hello Marcela,

Thank you for the photo! You found a Plume Moth (Pterophoridae). Their wings aren't the best for flying, but are good for camouflage because, as you noticed, they look like sticks.

Here is a good website for more information: http://bugguide.net/node/view/4561

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of AllExperts.com since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior