Entomology (Study of Bugs)/moth identification

Question
moth
moth  
I found this small (less than 1/2 inch) moth on the wall of my house in North Las Vegas and was wondering about its identity and whether or not it was rare? It certainly isn't like any that I have ever seen before.

Answer
Hi Norval
This is one of the more interesting examples of a protective adaptation in nature. This is a Bird Dropping Moth. (Possible Genus Ponometia) What predator is going to grab bird poop?

There are some caterpillars that also look like bird droppings.

You think you are forgetful! I am 82 and about he only thing I can easily recall right away is my own name

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz