Entomology (Study of Bugs)/The mysterious sunlit bug

Question
Mysterious sunlit bug
Mysterious sunlit bug  
I am with a local group that does nighttime work with infrared cameras  in my area and on more than one occasion we have caught on our pictures a rod shape with flares around it. In my searching for a what the hades is that?! I have read that it is called a sunlit bug, but I cannot find much reference pictures to compare. I have attached a picture so you could see for yourself but my question is, is this a "real" bug and have you ever heard of it?

Answer
Donna:

I have never heard of anything called a "sunlit bug."  What the camera captured is most likely simply a moth in flight (or some other random nocturnal insect).  The image is maybe not what you would expect, but you are capturing the insect in flight.  The "flares" are the wings as it progresses along its trajectory (the "rod").

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton