Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Neighbor bitten by uniknown bug

Unknown bug image
Unknown bug image  
Hi there,
our upstairs neighbor took a picture of this bug and I'm trying to help him get it identified. We live in Arlington MA but he took a fishing trip a few weeks ago.

His girlfriend received a few bites.

Any help sincerely appreciated!

This is a small beetle and probably not the cause of bites. Here's a list of insects and mites that bite people and some things that can be mistaken for bug bites The beetle in the picture is so small you would need to capture it so that it could be examined under a microscope to get a more detailed identification. Very few beetles bite and this one is so small that it could not bite with enough force to cause any injury.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology