Entomology (Study of Bugs)/New bug in the room

Mystery bug
Mystery bug  
I live in Huntington Beach, CA, and recently I was home sick all day and started to notice a weird scratching noise in my room, hours later while I was up and about I noticed this bug I have never seen before hanging out on my bed. It had 6 legs and long antennae, no wings and the body including the head was approximately 1.5"
Normally I would just get rid of bugs or spiders in my room but I had never seen this before. Just want to make sure it's not an infestation type of bug as I've spent a little bit of time trying to identify it on my own and have come up empty. Thanks in advance for any kind of help you can provide!

Dear Lauren - Your uninvited 'house guest' is a long-horned wood-boring beetle (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae). It is nothing to be concerned about as it will not damage or infest anything in your home. Simply scoop it into a container and escort it outside. These beetles do have strong jaws (they do chew wood, after all...) and can give you a painful bite if you handle one carelessly.
Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.