Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Springtails

Question
Hello and thanks in advance for your response.

I believe that I have Springtails coming in my bedroom from the window, even when it is closed. I don't have moisture in the bedroom so not sure why they are coming in there. Outside my bedroom window, is about 15 feet of dirt because I sprayed with herbicide. Beyond that 15 feet is a bank that I recently weed whacked a few weeks ago. We are having a drought and there is no moisture outside my window either. I assume that they are feeding on the weed trimmings but not sure. From what I have researched, they only like highly moistured soils. With that said, I know that it is hard for you to confirm an identification without a photo but the photos that I have seen of Springtails are awful similar to the ones in our room.

So....

1) Could they still be Springtails even if there isn't much moisture?

2) Are Springtails confirmed in Central California?

Thanks,
Ben

Answer
Ben,

Springtails (Collembola) are very common and occur in all soils, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/springtails.html for pictures. They sometimes enter homes during very dry weather in search of moisture as well as following heavy rains when soils are saturated. If you post a picture I'd be glad to confirm the id.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis