Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Tiny Dark Brown Bugs in Bathroom

Bug Upside Down
Bug Upside Down  
Side View of Bug
Side View of Bug  
QUESTION: Dear Mr. DeAngelis,

I live in Fairfield County, CT and am finding these bugs in the bathroom - crawling on the floor, counter and bathtub.  Some are smaller than others, which makes me think they've already reproduced.  I thought they were coming from a small prayer plant that I had on the bathroom counter, so I got rid of the plant last week.  I'm still seeing a lot of them every time I'm in the bathroom.  These bugs crawl slowly, but I have seen one fly.  I've done some online research and my guess would be either a cigarette beetle or a drugstore beetle, but I'm hoping your for your expert opinion.

My questions are whether they are dangerous to humans and/or dogs and how can I get rid of them?  I've attached a few pictures that I took today.  Please let me know if you need any others and thank you very much in advance for your time!

ANSWER: Paula,

I think your analysis is exactly right, see for more pictures of these beetles. This means there is an infestation nearby probably in some kind of store food or dry dog food. Locating and removing the source is the first step then the area can be treated with a dust-type insecticide if you want to. See the page cited above for more info.

Jack DeAngelis

QUESTION: Thank you for replying so quickly, Mr. DeAngelis!  If you don't mind a follow-up question ... is it unusual that I'm only finding these in the bathroom, which stores no food (human or dog)?  This bathroom is on the second floor and the kitchen is on the first.  

Thanks again,

It is possible there's a mouse nest/cache of seeds inside the wall but more likely the source is in this room or a connected room. The source is not always the kitchen. Food gets distributed to all rooms and is sometimes found in out-of-the-way places (half a cookie will support a lot of these beetles). If there's a teenager's bedroom nearby that's the first place I'd check.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology