Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Big black bug

Question
1
1  
This question was reviewed by 2 experts and have no idea what it is .I have found this black bug around my house its about 1" long has small head but its body gets bigger as it goes to the base. I have never seen this bug until a couple days ago. This bug just sits around the outside of my house in northwest Indiana. Can you tell me if this is a dangerous bug?

Answer
Jason:

Thank you for including the nice image with your question.

This is a "fishfly," an insect that is aquatic in the larval stage.  It will be one of the two species in this genus, most likely:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/3610

They are completely harmless in all stages of their life cycle, but the adults will fly to lights at night.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton