Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug identification

Unknown Bug
Unknown Bug  
Hello, I have found four of these little bugs in my kitchen. One in the middle of the day in a cupboard, one in the bottom of a coffee cup in the early evening, one in the tray under our water dispenser on the refrigerator, and one this morning at about 9:00 in the bottom of the sink. They are tiny. The dots in the picture are the impressions that are on a paper towel.

I live in San Diego, California.

I would really appreciate you help in figuring out what these are.  Thank you very much.

Dear Carl - This appears to be a true bug (order Hemiptera) of some kind, but I cannot see enough detail in your image to hazard a guess as to its identity. If you see enough of them to be of concern (from what I can see, it does not appear to be anything I would consider a serious pest), I suggest that you collect some of them and submit the specimens to your nearest office of California's Cooperative Extension Service (see http://cesandiego.ucanr.edu/) for assistance in identification and any needed control advice.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.