Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug's Identity

Question
QUESTION: Once in a while I see this strange bug flying around our flowers. I live in SW Michigan, about 3 miles from Lake Michigan.  This is a large insect, black (except for it's wings) and it looks fuzzy.  It has a long tongue (I presume for collecting nectar). It is quite noisy when it flies, making a buzzing sound.

ANSWER: Dear Sue - Without being able to see an image, I can only surmise that it most likely is one of the sphinx moths (Lepidoptera: Sphingidae) known as hummingbird moths. Have a look at the images on this page (http://tinyurl.com/87e4269) to see if anything comes close. Concentrate more on size and shape than color; moths and many other insects can vary considerably in color pattern within the same species. If after going through these you believe that you saw something other than a sphinx moth, please get back to me with a detailed description as to how yours differs, and if at all possible, include a photo (Note: These moths are notoriously difficult to photograph clearly).
Hope this helps,
Saugy

QUESTION: Saugy, have you ever heard of Saugatuck, Michigan?  Anyway< I don't think it is a moth at all.  It was more like a bee and wings more like a dragonfly.  Sorry, that would have been more helpful before I suppose.  It was the weirdest looking thing.  Haven't seen it again in a couple years.

Answer
Dear Sue - No, I must admit not hearing of Saugatuck, Michigan before, but I do know that some of our family resided at least for a while in Michigan during the late 19th century. In British Columbia, there's a Mt. Saugstad, named for a cousin of my great-grandfather who helped found the city of Bella Coola. All that aside, I still believe that it is possible that you saw a sphinx moth in the genus Hemaris. They have only a few scales on their wings, and the wings may appear virtually clear when they are in flight. See the description at http://tinyurl.com/k4fwyx8 and see what you think.

Sincerely,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad