Entomology (Study of Bugs)/bugs in my bathroom

Question
bug
bug  
Hi Jack~
I found your name next to a picture of a small black bug that resembles a flea and thought you might be able to help me. The past few summers at our house we have had these very small black bugs in our bathroom tub. I haven't noticed them anywhere else in the house until this year when I found them in our kitchen sink and in a glass of water that was left in our living room overnight. Its kind of a strange situation. They seem to be near water when I find them. They are mostly in our tub. Every morning I will see 2-10 of them. I have squashed them with my fingers and they leave a black streak that is hard to clean. They also JUMP! Which is kind of creepy. They are long and skinny and mostly black, although I have noticed acouple seem to have an iridescent green color on their back. I have used HOT water and just washed them down the drain also. The hot water seems to kill them or at least they don't jump anymore. They kind of die on their sides which is when I've noticed they look like a flea. We do have 2 dogs which aren't in the house but I've seen what regular fleas look like and these are much smaller. I can only think that they are possibly coming up the drain. I'm unsure what to do next. We are trying to sell our house but I'm trying to take care of the problem before the new owner finds this same issue after buying it.
I would appreciate any feedback you might have for me.
Thank you so much.
Stacey

Answer
Stacey,

There are two possibilities that I can think of. Springtails jump and otherwise look like what you describe, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/springtails.html for pictures. The other possibility are drain flies (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/drain_fly.html for pictures). Drain flies do not jump but they fly so may appear to jump when disturbed. If you can get a picture I'd be glad to confirm.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis