Entomology (Study of Bugs)/chilopods?

Question
I live in Ontario, Canada  and have noticed an increasing number of insects that appear to be centipedes,however these insects have long hairs all over their bodies and do move as fast as common centipedes. Are they from the same family and if so what is the best way to get rid of them?

Answer
Hi Tim
You have described the House centipede Scutigera coleoptrata. Look one up and see if this is   what they are. If so there is good news and bad news. The good news is that they are the death of household pest feeding on a lot of insects including roaches spiders and ants. The bad news is that you can't get rid of them completely. They are found in every house. You can kill one everytime you see one but this is a bad idea. They are working for you. And, by the way, they cannot bite you

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz