Entomology (Study of Bugs)/flying bug

Hello, I reside in Willcox, AZ.  This month of June I've noticed a flying green insect. This insect bites like a mosquito but does not itch after the bite. If swatted, it leaves an awful smell. It also makes a clicking sound when its near you. It is small, green and clear. I'm thinking its some type of moth. It looks like a green lacewing, Why does it bite and when do they go away?  Thank you.

Green lacewings do produce a stinky odor when disturbed, but as adults, they cannot bite.  Mosquito bites itch because they inject some saliva into the bite to help the blood flow while they are feeding.

As to the clicking sound:  that's a new one to me.  I've never heard a lacewing make a clicking sound.

If you have any pictures, please send them to me via reply.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs

I currently live in San Antonio, TX and have expertise in identifying insects, many types of spiders, and other arthropod critters that infest lawns, ornamentals, structures, trees, pets and livestock. Mites are not a strong point of mine. I'm not a licensed doctor, so I cannot provide medical diagnosis of conditions possibly related to insects or other arthropods. If you've got an interesting photo for me to see, attach it to your question, or let me know and I'll give you my email so the picture will get to me. If you have hosted an insect photo on a website, please include the link so I can go look at it and provide a faster ID for you. You may also join my group page on Facebook and post your picture at www.facebook.com/groups/antmans.hill/.

22+ years' experience as an entomologist: 5 years as a biologist with Merck Animal Health (I was part of the R&D team that worked to develop FrontLine flea and tick products) and 7 years as an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Specialist in San Antonio, Texas with Texas Cooperative Extension.

Veterinary Parasitology, Southwestern Entomologist, San Antonio Express News, San Antonio Gardener Newsletter, Master Gardener SCION Newsletter, GardenStyleSA e-Newsletter

BS - Entomology from Texas A&M University in 1992.

Board Certified Entomologist, 1996-2000 - Medical and Veterinary Entomology Specialty (Entomological Society of America)

2000 Texas A&M University Vice Chancellor's Award in Excellence for leadership on the Texas Fire Ant Program Educational Team.