Entomology (Study of Bugs)/friend or foe

Question
green beetle1
green beetle1  

green beetle2
green beetle2  
Can you identify this beetle for me and tell me if it is an environmental 'friend' or a destructive pest. I was concerned that it is an emerald adh borer but I think this guy is too big to be that. Here are some pictures. It's about an inch long. Thanks!!!

Answer
Dear Sharon - This beetle definitely is a friend, it is a ground beetle (Coleoptera: Carabidae) in the genus Calosoma - see http://tinyurl.com/8lbw27k for an example. They specialize in hunting down and eating caterpillars, such as gypsy moth caterpillars.  The emerald ash borer is in the family Buprestidae (metallic/flat-headed wood borers), and has a very different shape - see http://tinyurl.com/4rj4o3 for detailed information.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad