Entomology (Study of Bugs)/friend or foe

green beetle1
green beetle1  

green beetle2
green beetle2  
Can you identify this beetle for me and tell me if it is an environmental 'friend' or a destructive pest. I was concerned that it is an emerald adh borer but I think this guy is too big to be that. Here are some pictures. It's about an inch long. Thanks!!!

Dear Sharon - This beetle definitely is a friend, it is a ground beetle (Coleoptera: Carabidae) in the genus Calosoma - see http://tinyurl.com/8lbw27k for an example. They specialize in hunting down and eating caterpillars, such as gypsy moth caterpillars.  The emerald ash borer is in the family Buprestidae (metallic/flat-headed wood borers), and has a very different shape - see http://tinyurl.com/4rj4o3 for detailed information.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.