Entomology (Study of Bugs)/hairy bug

Question
Hi. I was outside on my porch and under the seat cushion of the swing was a flat papery nest (similar to a small hornets nest). A hairy silverfish looking bug came crawling out of the nest. It was about 1.5 inches long. It ran very fast so I could not get a picture. It was not a centipede.

Answer
Mona,

There's a close relative to the silverfish called a firebrat that might be what you saw, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/silverfish_firebrats.html for pictures. Firebrats look like silverfish but are brown in color and "bristly" or hairy. The only thing that does not fit is the size, 1.5" is too large for a firebrat. If you see another try to see if it has the three long "tails" that silferfish and firebrats have but other insects do not.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis