Entomology (Study of Bugs)/House Centipedes

I found a bug in my house resembling a centipede and found online that it is a house centipede.  I know they are typically harmless to humans and are beneficial as pest control.  My question though is, although they usually do not bite humans and even if they did it would be a mild sting, are they harmful to babies?  This may seem like a stupid question, but babies have underdeveloped immune systems and softer skin, so I am worried that I will need to use pest control to get rid of them.  However, I prefer to have them around to control other pests, if they are not harmful to babies.  Thanks for your time and assistance!

House centipedes can bite but their bite is not venomous. Bites are also very rare since house centipedes tend to stay in out-of-the-way places. The best control for house centipedes is the same sticky traps used for spiders, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/centipede.html. So to answer your question I think it is very unlikely that a baby would be injured by a house centipede and that the risks associated with spraying pesticides to control them would be far greater.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology