Entomology (Study of Bugs)/houseplant bugs

I was repotting a large house plant yesterday and when I removed the plant from the original pot it appeared to be full of a small bug that looked a lot like a small palmetto bug.  Is this possible and what can I do?  Are all my plants invested? I live in SW Florida

By palmetto bug I assume you are talking about a type of cockroach, is this correct? It is possibly that cockroaches might use cavities in the soil as harborage sites but I'd need to see a picture to confirm the id. Can you post a picture in a follow up?

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology