Entomology (Study of Bugs)/houseplant bugs

Question
I was repotting a large house plant yesterday and when I removed the plant from the original pot it appeared to be full of a small bug that looked a lot like a small palmetto bug.  Is this possible and what can I do?  Are all my plants invested? I live in SW Florida

Answer
Robin,

By palmetto bug I assume you are talking about a type of cockroach, is this correct? It is possibly that cockroaches might use cavities in the soil as harborage sites but I'd need to see a picture to confirm the id. Can you post a picture in a follow up?

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis