Entomology (Study of Bugs)/id and behavior of 'deer flies'?

Question
fourple
fourple  
Hello,

I am hoping you can give me an id on these interesting guys and also comment on the odd behavior in which they are engaging.
My wife took the picture at the school where she teaches.  We live in northern ca.  They were stacked like this for some time she said.  The bottom one, also the largest, tried to walk, but often fell over, taking her companions with her. Thanks.   Mark

Answer
These are flies called Dance Flies. I have observed the mating dances they perform on the air but this behavior is new to me. I assume it is some kin of mating ritual. Your wife may have discovered something new. I am going to look onto this more. If I find out anything I will let you know Mark

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz