Entomology (Study of Bugs)/identify bug

Question
beetle
beetle  
I have these bugs that are in my lawn. All of a sudden they just showed up. My lawn is infested with them. They hover over the grass and I have a kiddie pool and they seem get into the pool too. I have asked about them but no one has ever seen them before. I would like to know if they are harmful and what they are?
thank you

Answer
It is hard to tell the species without seeing the tarsi and mouth parts, It looks like a scarab beetle and a little like a Japanese beetle with odd coloring. large populations invasions like   are unusual and temporary and there is not much you can do about it. They should soon disappear. If they seem to congregate in an area you can use a pyrethrum based  spray or boric acid powder. Pyrethrum cannot cause problems with the pool water

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz