Entomology (Study of Bugs)/identify bug

My back yard is full with this bugs. What are they call? Do they bite? Is it safe for the kids?

Hello Jackeline,

You have St. Andrew's Cotton Stainers (Dysdercus andreae). They are a cotton pest common in Florida and the West Indies. They leave stains on the cotton that reduce its value. They won't bite you or your kids. However, the population may grow very quickly and be difficult to eliminate.

Thank you for the great photo!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of AllExperts.com since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior