Entomology (Study of Bugs)/INSECT BITES

I have been bit by a insect several times in my flower gardens and each time I swell (very badly).  Three different times I have gotten bit around my eyes and they swell shut and I have also gotten bitten on the hand and it swelled so bad I thought I was going to have to cut my rings off.  These bugs are very tiny black bugs about the size of a gnat.  The bites don't itch but my skin burns around the area of the bite.  Do you know what this might be and how I can treat the bites and maybe prevent them?  The last time I got bit I had OFF on and had safety glasses on.

Hi Carol
I believe this is a medical problem rather then a bug problem with an allergic reaction from a bite. I know of no small insects that normally cause a reaction like this. Even if I could tell what the insect is it would not solve the problem. I am not a physician and cannot give medical advice. You should consider consulting a Dermatologist

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ