Entomology (Study of Bugs)/insect nest

Question
mystery globe from Kolarbyn
mystery globe from Kol  
This could be an insect nest, I believe. Two were found in the water at Kolarbyn Eco-Lodge in Sweden and they posted the image on Facebook.
THere was a question about a similar sounding object on your site in 2009 but no answer because they posted no image.
Question
We removed what seems to be an insect nest from the branch of a shorepine in Warrenton, Oregon after making sure it was not in use. The branch was about 12 feet above the ground. The nest is round, about 2 feet in diameter and the exterior is composed of pine needles stuck in horizontally over the entire surface. We had to cut the branch off because the end of the branch is incorporated into and seems to be the base structure of the nest. It broke in half when it fell. We have encased both halves in plastic wrap and a brown powdery dust shakes out when we move them. We would like the kids to be able to take the nest to school but want to know what kind of insect is involved. Thanks. BUT then he asked for a picture and never got one so never replied. But it sounds exactly like this image.

Answer
Dear Dave - If that object is indeed insect-related, it is unlike anything I have ever seen; to me, it looks more something that was formed by running water. As for the original question, the only thing that I can think of that comes even remotely close is the 'nest' formed by colonies of the pine webworm, but these all seem to be much smaller that what was described - see http://tinyurl.com/lldysyb for an example. Just another instance of a picture being worth a thousand words...
Sorry not to be of more substantive help,
Saugy
p.s - Should you find an identity of the mystery object(s) from another source, I would appreciate very much being informed about it.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad