Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What kind of spider is this?

Question
Spider
Spider  
Hi Eric.  Please see the attached pic.  I have found many of these spiders in my backyard in Dixon, Illinois near the Rock River.  This picture was taken on 6-3-2013.  The spider is brownish in color and has a black lung-shaped mark on its underbelly.  It is about as big as a half dollar coin, including its legs, and makes a tangled web. Its body has about the same diameter as a nickel.  Any help would be appreciated.  I'd like to know what it is and if it is venomous.  -MissDaisy

Answer
Hi, again :-)

The spider is clearly an orb weaver, family Araneidae.  The only common species that are that large and in the adult stage at this time of year are the "furrow orbweavers" in the genus Larinioides :

http://bugguide.net/node/view/33791

No orb weaver of *any* species is known by science to be dangerously venomous to people or pets.  Indeed, they are important agents of pest control, trapping hundreds of thousands of mosquitoes, midges, moths, and other insects in their webs.

Furrow orbweavers are in their webs almost exclusively at night.  I have found the webs during the day but have seldom seen the spiders, so well do they hide.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton