Entomology (Study of Bugs)/little brown bug

little brown bug
little brown bug  
hi, i'm not sure how long these little guys have been hanging area my house, but I've been noticing them a great deal in the upstairs part of the house (bedrooms). they are little, brown, seem to be able to fly. I've had them land on me and they don't seem to bite. I just want to be sure i'm not dealing with anything I need to worry about. i'm located in central Pennsylvania.

This is a beetle, possibly either the cigarette beetle or the drugstore beetle (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/cigarette_drugstore_beetle.html for pictures). These beetle infest stored food like dry pet food or dry food in a pantry storage.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology