Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Need help indentifying

Question
Bug 1
Bug 1  
Recently I've been waking up with bug bites but after a thorough search i could not find any bed bugs. I set up a plate with water and set a light on it, It's important to note that the bug would have to jump to get into the plate. A few of these showed up, this one in the picture was the biggest and the bug in comparison is very, very tiny, maybe about 1 mm.

Answer
Austin:

The creature in the image appears to be a springtail.  They are no longer classified as insects.  Here's more about them:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/258362

They are not uncommon indoors, especially in humid conditions, but they are totally harmless and do not bite.

Springtails are most often found in sinks, showers, tubs, basins, and other areas with constant moisture.  You can only kill them by drying them to death.  Consider a dehumidifier in rooms where you see them.  You can also sprinkle a thin layer of diatomaceous earth (DE), as that product scratches the cuticle of the critter and dehydrates it.  Careful, though, if you have curious pets or toddlers.  DE is essentially pulverized glass.

I'd just let them be if there is only a small population, as they are at most a nuisance.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton