Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Painted Grasshopper with Stinger?

Question
When I was about 8 or 9, a friend of mine found a large grasshopper that was yellow, black, and red and sported a large stinger. I recently saw a picture of a Painted Grasshopper, but it has no stinger and the colours are off. does such a Grasshopper I described exist or was it just the stretch of time blurring details?

Answer
Andrew:

Thanks for the question!

I have a simple answer for you.  What you are seeing as a "stinger" is actually called an ovipositor.  It is what female grasshoppers use to inject eggs into the soil.  Male grasshoppers do not have an ovipositor.  You may have seen a picture of a MALE painted grasshopper.  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs