Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Really scared of bed bugs and scarred

Bug next to penny
Bug next to penny  

Close up of the bug
Close up of the bug  
I saw this speck moving on the top of my bed. It is brownish, flat and tiny (1mm). Could this be a bed bug? I've looked all over my bed, bed frame and mattress. I can't seem to fine any bed bugs...I'm very worried.. So is this possibly a bed bug?

Hi Jess
This is a harmless beetle not a bedbug. If you have bedbugs you will have bites. This beetle looks like one on the pantry pests that get into foods on the cupboard. Check your cereals and dried foods in the kitchen. If you see any bugs thing let me know. These beetles are not usually in bedrooms. Stop worrying

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ