Entomology (Study of Bugs)/roach? beetle? please help identify

Question
bottom
bottom  

top
top  
I live in NY and found this bug in my kitchen and laundry room.  this is the third one I found this week.  it is small, brown, has long antennas, moves very quick and also when captured in a container would fly to the top.  please help me identify this pest.  thanks so much

Answer
Hi, Debbie:

No worries, it is a harmless beetle.  Thanks to your nice images I can tell you it is a male "toe-winged beetle," Ptilodactyla sp.  Here is more:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/43246

These beetles often fly to lights at night, so that is probably how it wound up indoors.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton