Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider habits when in danger

Question
Sir,

I live in England and chanced upon a spider in the bath. Possibly a Zebra Spider about an inch long, leg to leg.
It climbed on to my hand as I rescued it. Luckily I had a drinking glass to hand. But as I moved it close to the glass it jumped into the glass. To my horror it left two legs behind. I counted six legs left on the spider which I put outside. I am used to spiders jumping to evade capture..... but is this leg loss normal?

Thanks for your help!
Kindest Regards
Mark

Answer
 Hi Mark
Losing legs when jumping is not normal. Such a thing would have no survival value. I cannot explain why this happened
Rescuing spiders while in the tub is also not normal human behavior. You are my kind of a guy Mark. Good for you.
I had a tarantula escape and wind up in my wifes' tub a few years ago. She was not happy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz