Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider habits when in danger

I live in England and chanced upon a spider in the bath. Possibly a Zebra Spider about an inch long, leg to leg.
It climbed on to my hand as I rescued it. Luckily I had a drinking glass to hand. But as I moved it close to the glass it jumped into the glass. To my horror it left two legs behind. I counted six legs left on the spider which I put outside. I am used to spiders jumping to evade capture..... but is this leg loss normal?

Thanks for your help!
Kindest Regards

Hi Mark
Losing legs when jumping is not normal. Such a thing would have no survival value. I cannot explain why this happened
Rescuing spiders while in the tub is also not normal human behavior. You are my kind of a guy Mark. Good for you.
I had a tarantula escape and wind up in my wifes' tub a few years ago. She was not happy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ