Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider Identification

Question
Spider
Spider  
Hi there;

I was walking along a concrete path in Grande Prairie, Alberta (northern small city in Alberta) and found this crossing my path.  Can you tell me what type of spider it is?

Answer
Dear Lynette - This is a crab spider (family Thomisidae), likely in the genus Xysticus - see http://tinyurl.com/n7hw9jl for an example. Crab spiders are ambush predators, usually laying in wait on vegetation (including on tree trunks) for prey to come within grasping distance. They di=o not spin a capture web of any kind, and all are harmless to humans.
Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad