Entomology (Study of Bugs)/spider question

I live in Wilmington Delaware, and I have ORB WEAVER SPIDERS, I believe.   My question is that I have 20-30 adult spiders, that have started making webs within feet of each other, and withing these webs are 100's of babies...  It just seems odd that so many of these spiders would be concentrated so closely together.   is that normal?
thanks so much for any info you can provide.

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the great question. There are orb weavers that are semi-social and build communal webs. This practice is thought to depend on prey availability, as well as other factors. One web was reported to be 4 meters across, 2 meters high and nearly 2 football fields long!

If you send a photo, I can help you identify which type of orb weaver you have.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of AllExperts.com since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior