Entomology (Study of Bugs)/spider question

Question
I live in Wilmington Delaware, and I have ORB WEAVER SPIDERS, I believe.   My question is that I have 20-30 adult spiders, that have started making webs within feet of each other, and withing these webs are 100's of babies...  It just seems odd that so many of these spiders would be concentrated so closely together.   is that normal?
thanks so much for any info you can provide.

Answer
Hello Steve,

Thanks for the great question. There are orb weavers that are semi-social and build communal webs. This practice is thought to depend on prey availability, as well as other factors. One web was reported to be 4 meters across, 2 meters high and nearly 2 football fields long!

If you send a photo, I can help you identify which type of orb weaver you have.

Best,
Jessica

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger