Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Swarming ant like insects

Question
For the past two nights one room in the house has been invaded by small ant-like flying insects.  Segmented body and two pairs of wings, front ones larger so I don't think they are termites (hopefully). House is only five years old. I vacuumed up a huge amount of dead ones behind a couch today but tonight (1AM) I see a few more attracted to the light in the room..I can't see where they are coming in from.  Could they be termites and what should I do?  I lived next door for several years and a this happened a few times there, also. Not every year, however. Any advice?

Answer
Daphne,

These sound more like winged ants than termites based on size. If you post a picture I could confirm. There are a number of very small ants that nest in homes and these nests can release winged ants into rooms. Large nests require specialized baits for control (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/ant_bait.html). In this case the newer commercial baits will work much better than those based on boric acid.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis