Entomology (Study of Bugs)/tiny red ants

Question
What is the purpose of tiny red ants?  Do they help the environment in some way?  Thank you.

Sharon

Answer
Sharon,

I guess the only way I can answer this is with a question of my own. What is the purpose of any species including humans? Remembering that this is in the science section of AllExperts and not theology - current evidence supports the notion that extant species are the product of millions of years of evolution. Species are finely honed by evolution to fill a particular, and changing, ecological niche. Your tiny red ants fill a niche that no other species is currently exploiting. This is at least how I think about evolution. So if this concept is true then species don't exist for any purpose but rather because there was an ecological vacancy, and "nature deplores a vacuum".

Thanks for that philosophical sidetrack.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis