Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bed Bugs

Question
Photo 1
Photo 1  

Photo 2
Photo 2  
About a month ago, I woke up with itchy, red welts in a row on my hip - a clinic couldn't identify the bites but told me I should get my apartment checked for bed bugs.  I did and the pest expert said that he found only one bed bug and no eggs.  The first photo is what was found on the day my apartment was sprayed for bed bugs.  I received no further bites after this.  However, I continued to find more bugs (second photo) but didn't have any more bites.  To me the photos don't match.  It's hard to recall the details from memory of the first photo but it looks like a standard bed bug.  The bug in the second photo appears different - solid brown, narrow oval, without ridges on its back, but does have a split shell, has legs that span it's length, doesn't appear to fly.  Before subsequent exterminations, it was found all over the apartment: under pillows, baseboards, table-top surfaces, window sills.  Are both bugs the same?  Is the second photo a bed bug?

Answer
Dear Julie - Unfortunately, the quality of your first image is not sufficient for me to tell for certain whether or not it is a bed bug, but the second image appears to be a small beetle. I suggest that you submit any insect(s) you want identified to your nearest office of Cornell University's Cooperative Extension Service, see http://tinyurl.com/97g3u7d for contact information. The extension service usually is a valuable resource when dealing with most home/yard/garden pest problems.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad