Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Beetle or cockroach

Same bug
Same bug  
I found this bug in my bathroom last night and I was totally grossed out. Can you help me identify it? I'm hopping its some sort of beetle.

Hi, Jeanette:

You are correct, the insect is a beetle.  It is a ground beetle in the family Carabidae, and probably this one:

It is still very difficult to identify these beetles to species, but suffice it to say they are mostly nocturnal, and predatory on other insects.  Harpalus are also seed-eaters, so are occasionally mildly destructive to crops like corn, wheat, etc.

Hope this helps put your mind at ease!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.