Entomology (Study of Bugs)/bites from being in lake water

Question
Hi, I hope someone can help.  We have a holiday home on the edge of a water-skiing lake in England.  Our children are constantly in and out of the water and 2 weeks ago started getting covered in what looks like mosquito bites (over 80 bites on each child)

We have been advised the owners of the lake that it may be something called swimmers itch.  

There is a lot of weed in the lake and in some areas it looks really dirty, can larve cause a bite?  Is there anything that the lake can be treated with to help this stop happening again?

Answer
Dear Adele - This indeed sounds like a classic case of 'swimmers itch', caused by the larval stage (cercaria) of a parasitic worm that infects birds, especially waterfowl. These cercariae die very soon after penetrating human skin, and this appears to be what triggers an allergic reaction that results in the itchy papules on a victim's skin. Fortunately, there does not appear to be any lasting effect. Risk of swimmers itch appears to be greatest in shallow waters on hot, sunny days, and there is no effective control, but it does not appear to be all that common in Britain. See http://tinyurl.com/9ot8cu and http://tinyurl.com/pjxoynk for more detailed information.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

p.s. - When my wife (a native of Dorset) and I visit England, we stick to the seacoast for our water exposure!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad