Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Black bug in my apartment

Slick black bug
Slick black bug  
It's a tiny black bug I've mainly seen in my bedroom which is the main room that's used in the house. It's summer time and I've seen maybe 6-7 within the past 3 months. Typically later in the afternoon when there's not much movement. I didn't notice any jumping or flying, just crawling. I've also seen it go down into the carpet and reappeared after a few minutes. It's slick and not furry. Nothing gooey or bloody when smashed.

The insect in your image is a leaf beetle of some sort, family Chrysomelidae.  There are many, many species, of which most are specific to one kind of plant.  Check your houseplants to see if you have them there.  Otherwise, I'm not sure where they could be coming from.

I don't recognize this species as one that feeds on toxic plants, so it won't have any health effects whatsoever, even if you ate one (not that you would!).

These beetles do fly when they want to.

Here's more about leaf beetles in general:

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.