Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug bite

Question
I was sitting in my living room with the door partly cracked when I felt something crawling on my neck. Living in the country I assumed it was a misquote so I smacked the bug and it stung me. It was about the size of a misquote only it was tan/skin colored with big brown eyes and clear wings, an hour has past since the sting and my neck is very sore and slightly swollen around the sting area, what could this be? I live in Kentucky

Answer
Nicole,

Can you get a picture of the bug (or what's left of it)? It might have been a thrips (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/thrips.html) but thrips are somewhat smaller than mosquitoes. Thrips will bite but usually don't cause any swelling. If you can get a picture or more description I'd be glad to take another look.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis