Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug Identification Request- Bed Bug?

Black Bug
Black Bug  
I wanted to know if this might be a bedbug. It was discovered on my comforter, but I'm not sure if it's a common summer insect or something more sinister. It appears to be black and oblong. I am weary of contacting an exterminator for an identification knowing they have ulterior motives in their response. There are no other signs of possible bed bugs. He appears to have a solid shell. I am located in Syracuse, NY. Thank you for any input you can offer!!

This is not a bed bug it is a beetle but I can't see it clearly enough to id further (see for bed bug pictures). If you get a closer, brighter picture I'd be glad to take another look.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology