Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug Identification Request- Bed Bug?

Question
Black Bug
Black Bug  
Hello!
I wanted to know if this might be a bedbug. It was discovered on my comforter, but I'm not sure if it's a common summer insect or something more sinister. It appears to be black and oblong. I am weary of contacting an exterminator for an identification knowing they have ulterior motives in their response. There are no other signs of possible bed bugs. He appears to have a solid shell. I am located in Syracuse, NY. Thank you for any input you can offer!!

Answer
Amber,

This is not a bed bug it is a beetle but I can't see it clearly enough to id further (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/bed_bug.html for bed bug pictures). If you get a closer, brighter picture I'd be glad to take another look.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis