Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug's Identity

Question
1
1  

2
2  
I found this one biting me and I dragged it off from my leg. would like to know what it is... Thanks~

Answer
Dear Ryan - This is a partially engorged hard tick (family Ixodidae), but I cannot see enough detail to offer a more specific identification. Ticks usually need to be attached for at least 24 hours in order for any disease organisms to be transmitted. Nevertheless, if you see a doctor for any febrile illness within the next few weeks, be sure to mention the tick bite. You can find links to detailed information on tick-borne diseases in Georgia at http://tinyurl.com/oc5k9rf

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad