Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug/Larvae inside Ash Tree

Question
Recently the storms in Minneapolis brought down a tree in a friends front yard. The ash tree was around 50 years old from neighbors accounts and in good condition. When cutting the tree up into movable pieces we encountered pockets with what looked to be black pupas with larvae inside. The larvae were white with a reddish brown head and were 1/4" to 3/8" thick and about a inch long. I assume this was a stag beetle since it was late May early June. Any Thoughts as to what it was. EAB is not a possibility as we looked at that first.

Thanks,

Paul

Answer
Paul:

Without seeing at least an image, it is extremely difficult to reach any kind of conclusion.  LOTS of beetles attack rotting wood.  Stag beetles are a possibility.  So are "bess beetles," family Passalidae, or scarabs, including the subfamily Dynastinae.  The larvae you found were "prepupae" inside a cell made of wood fibers, sawdust, saliva of the larva, and other material.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton