Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Curious as to what bug I killed

So flying insects are a big NOPE with me...especially ones that are big enough to make noise when they fly into something. So naturally when I saw this guy not only flying around my house but making weird screeching noises when my cats were playing with it...I was freaked out and had to get him.
(if the link doesn't work and I'll try sending another message with the image from another source. Sorry if the picture is a bit blurry...I mostly took this for size comparison. Also I seem to have busted off a few of it's limbs in the process of killing it)

Doing some research of my own, the closest thing I've found that looks like it is the Pine Sawyer Beetle but, not only are the colors off, according to my research that bug is not found in Massachusetts (where I live).

I'm stumped. Any input you have would be great. Thanks.

Dear Ryan - The quality of your image is not sufficient for me to be confident of an i.d., but at least I can state that it most definitely is not a pine sawyer beetle. I would suspect that it is in that same family (Cerambycidae), but in a different subfamily from that of sawyers (Lamiinae); it might instead be one of the root/stump bores in the subfamily Prioninae. A larger and clear image would really help here.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.