Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Found a bunch of small black bugs

SE Michigan Bug
SE Michigan Bug  
Found a bunch of smallish (smaller than a dime) black bugs on a small tree in my SE Michigan back yard tonight, 13 July 2013.  All black, 6 legs and 2 long antenna.  Tear shaped and back half had a side to side almost armor appearance.  They would crawl to the opposite/under side of the leaf when we tried to get a closer look.  I have a photo.  Any ideas?  Thanks, Lance

Hi, Lance:

Yes, the insect in your image is a nymph (baby) of a leaf-footed bug, family Coreidae.  It is likely in the genus Acanthocephala :

They feed on plant sap, but are seldom, if ever, pests.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.