Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Help identify bug found in home

Found bug
Found bug  

Slow moving. Did not fly. Easy to capture under glass. Appeared hairy with yellow marking on abdomen. I live in carlstadt,nj. Fiund yesterday july11, 2013. Hot humid weather for the last week.  Was found on the floor

Thank you for including the images with your question.  That is a rodent or rabbit bot fly, family Oestridae, genus Cuterebra .  They are common, but rarely seen as adult flies.  They simply don't live long as adults.  They don't even have mouthparts to feed.  Here's more about them, but WARNING:  not for the squeamish....

Please consider saving the specimen.  It was lethargic because it had just recently emerged from the pupa stage.  Let it dry out, harden for a day or two, then freeze it.....

Then please e-mail me and I will put you in touch with a friend and colleague who studies these insects.  Our collective knowledge of where the different species are found is very fragmentary, so your specimen could help shed light on this.  Thank you.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.