Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Can you ID this bug?

Question
Mysterybugandy
Mysterybugandy  
Saw this dead guy outside (I live in Virginia), and thought it was a roach, but looking online it doesn't really look anything like the roaches I'm seeing pictures of, so I'm wondering if it is a roach or a beetle or what.  It was probably 1.5-2" long.  I've attached a picture.  Any help you could give would be appreciated!  I think I've seen them in my house before as well so I'm trying to figure out if they're roaches or not, if they're not they're somehow instantly more acceptable to have in my house.  :)

Answer
Dear Andy - This is a long-horned wood-boring beetle (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) in the subfamily Prioninae, it appears to be Orthosoma brunneum, a species known simply as the brown prionid - see http://tinyurl.com/kbm3n7z for images and more information. It is not a serious pest, and will not infest anything in your home.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad