Entomology (Study of Bugs)/identify beetle

Question
very odd beetle
very odd beetle  
I discovered two of these very odd looking beetles on my young husk tomato plants (also known as ground cherry). It appears to be surrounded by a gelatinous mass and moved very quickly to the other side of the leaf when nudged or as surprised us immensely, it flew away. It came back after a few minutes, and settled back on the leaf. I live in western Massachusetts. What is it?

Thank you.

Answer
Eileen:

Thank you for including the image with your question.  I'm impressed you recognized it as a beetle!

The beetle is a "Clavate Tortoise Beetle," Plagiometriona clavata .  More information here:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/3021

They may be mimicking a bird-dropping.  The larvae do most of the damage to plants.  They sit on the underside of the leaf and have an "umbrella" made from their own dried poop that they adhere to tail-like appendages and curl over themselves.

Thanks for sharing your find.  I remember seeing them when I spent six months in South Deerfield and Amherst.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton