Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Identify this bug

Question
unkown pest
unkown pest  
We have this flying insect at our new house.  They are a pest, they dive bomb us and our dog but so far, have not stung anyone.  I have no idea what it is.  It flies around similar to a dragon fly (it hovers a lot) and it always with another one of it's kind.
Do we need to worry about it stinking us or our dog?  
We live in the Akron, Ohio area. North east, ohio.
Thank you for your help!!

Answer

Kim:

Thank you for including the image with your question.

These are definitely NOT pests!  They are solitary wasps called Eastern Cicada Killers, Sphecius speciosus .  The ones dive-bombing you are males, which are territorial but are anatomically incapable of stinging.

The female wasps are larger still, and while they *can* sting, will only do so if molested.  Don't walk barefoot through their nesting area and you should be fine.

There is a great website about these amazing insects with all the information you could ever hope to know:

http://sites.lafayette.edu/hollidac/research/biology-of-cicada-killer-wasps/

I'd be tempted to have a housewarming party and invite friends to come and watch these wasps.  The sight of a female flying in with a paralyzed cicada is jaw-dropping.  Enjoy the spectacle in any event, as it won't last long.  The wasps will be done with their individual nests in only 2-4 weeks most likely.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton