Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Killing Jar

Question
Hi, I am interested in entomology and just yesterday made a killing jar. So I successfully captured and killed a fly and was wondering how long is it appropriate to keep insects in the killing jar before transferring them to the relaxing jar or a container for safe keeping. I appreciate the help.

Answer
Nicole,

Insects can be removed from the jars as soon as they are dead. Many people store their catch in the freezer until being processed (pinned and so forth) further. You only need a trip through the relaxing jar if the specimen has dried and become brittle otherwise they can be pinned immediately. Proper pinning and labelling is extremely important to maintaining a useful collection and some specimens will require spreading to get a clear view of the important characters. Good luck and have fun.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis